Subject: Re: No coding system used for environment variables

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:10:15 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:
>> It seems there is no coding system applied to values of environment
>> variables.
> 
> What's the current situation with this bug?  Jason's patch was reverted,
> but nothing else seems to have been done after that.
> 
> Two objections were made to Jason's patch: (i) some coding systems are
> not ready until some .elc files get loaded (relevant for special cases,
> such as the EMACS_LOAD_PATH variable), and (ii) DECODE_FILE causes GC,
> so variables such as `nm' in Fexpand_file_name may not point to valid
> data after that.
> 
> If no elegant solution is forthcoming, I'd suggest simply documenting
> (i) as a limitation, and dealing with (ii) by simply turning off GC in
> the affected part of the function.

I think the GC part can be handled the same way as in bug #93

> I noticed that the patch posted at
> 
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2007-05/msg00115.html
> 
> has not been checked into the trunk either.

I think the bug reported there is the same as #93, which is fixed in the
trunk, but not the branch AFAIK.