Subject: Re: No coding system used for environment variables

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:34:53 +0100

Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> Second, as DECODE_FILE causes GC and string compaction in general,
>> some variables such as `nm' in Fexpand_file_name may not point to
>> valid data after that.
>
> This is a problem on some systems that still do not support stack marking
> for GC protection of such variables. But I think this bug is important
> enough to fix those problems rather than revert the patch.

Only Lisp_Object variables are protected.  Failing to protect
non-Lisp_Object pointers can result in crashes.  A crash is always the
worst possible problem.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, [email-masked]
SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
PGP key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."