Subject: Re: bug#37957: BibTeX dialect not set if local variables disabled

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:21:48 -0500

On Wed Oct 30 2019 Richard Copley wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 01:52, Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Yet I guess that enable-local-variables being nil may break more
> > things if hack-local-variables-hook is not called.
> 
> Did you have something in mind? I don't see how it might break
> anything for BibTeX mode. If it breaks something elsewhere, that
> is a separate bug.

I was thinking of other packages using hack-local-variables-hook.
Yet I just checked that for the packages distributed with emacs,
this hook appears to be not overly popular.  So maybe my worries are
not justified.

> > If nothing else, we could mention in the docstring of
> > hack-local-variables-hook that this hook is not called if
> > enable-local-variables is nil.
> 
> Perhaps, but it is clear from the existing docstring ("[...] run after
> processing a file’s local variables specs"), in my opinion.

When I added bibtex-set-dialect to hack-local-variables-hook, I did
not even anticipate the existence of a user variable
enable-local-variables that could make this patch go wrong.  I see
no damage if this point gets mentioned in the docstring of
hack-local-variables-hook.

Roland