Subject: Re: bug#37957: BibTeX dialect not set if local variables disabled

From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:55:37 +0000

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 16:42, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Richard Copley <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > No, it would be a waste of everybody's time. Try this one liner:
> >
> > emacs -Q -eval "(with-current-buffer \"*empty*\" (setq
enable-local-variables nil)
> > (bibtex-mode) (bibtex-parse-buffers-stealthily))"
>
> "No buffer named *empty*"

emacs -Q -eval "(with-current-buffer \"*scratch*\" (setq
enable-local-variables nil) (bibtex-mode)
(bibtex-parse-buffers-stealthily))"

> But even if I fix the expression, I'm still not able to reproduce the
> bug in Emacs 27. You didn't include the Emacs version in your bug
> report, unfortunately.

Curious! Works for me on current master (built from a fresh checkout just
now) and the FSF builds of Emacs 24.5 (i686) and Emacs 26.3 (x86_64), on
Windows.
Ah hah, but not on Debian (on Emacs built from master a few months ago).
That's a surprise.

Just to be sure, here's an unambiguous specification of a recipe that does
work, for me, in all of those environments. From 'emacs -Q',

M-x set-variable RET enable-local-variables RET nil RET
M-x bibtex-mode RET
M-: (bibtex-parse-buffers-stealthily) RET