Subject: bug#37939: guix-install.sh: Fails to detect signing key on Debian10.

From: Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 09:59:39 +0100

Dear GNU Guix developers,

I just tried to install guix on top of a fresh debian10 system, which
has been installed from debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso and updated.

The guix install script fails in function chk_gpg_keyring(), although
the key is present.

If I remove the discard redirection >/dev/null 2>&1 from the gpg
command, the following message occurs:

 gpg: keyblock resource '/root/.gnupg/pubring.kbx': No such file or directory
 gpg: Fatal: /root/.gnupg: directory does not exist!

Of course these files do not exist, as I imported the key to the user
account, not to the root account. Then I executed the script as user,
using sudo.

This procedure works fine on trisquel7 or 8, but it fails on debian10.

I wonder why ‘sudo gpg’ does not make a difference between being called
via sudo versus being called as root.

Do I use debian the wrong way?

best regards
Kai

-- 
Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
OpenPGP Key-ID: 0x40B15AB4B05B5BF1 on keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint = 7C83 0A80 01FF 679C 6E8E  AFD3 40B1 5AB4 B05B 5BF1
What is that? Please check: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/