Subject: bug#37932: [PATCH] Support hidpi fringes and images with Cairo

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:14:19 +0300

> From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 05:05:52 -0300
> 
> Here is an attempt to fix the above issues:
> 
> https://github.com/memeplex/emacs/commit/473beb25dd947c34392708ca40f1b3bf80613007

Thanks, but please continue posting the patches to the bug tracker, so
that the record of these discussions is complete.  It would also make
it easier for people to review the patches in Emacs while having
instant and easy access to the current code.

> * It removes the auto :scale property. I think this is the right thing
> to do, applications that want to use the :scale parameter to transform
> their images shouldn't lose the hidpi scaling nor explicitly call
> image-compute-scaling-factor.

I don't think I'm qualified to make an intelligent decision on this by
myself (and you just asked the question not long ago, and proceeded to
coding without giving anyone any time to answer it :-().  I don't know
enough about this to make such a decision.  maybe Robert, Alan, and
others would chime in and voice their opinions.  failing that, please
tell more about the pro's and con's here, so that we could see what
kind of trade-offs are we talking about.

Thanks.