Subject: bug#37926: [PATCH] Unify Gnus select methods

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:21:27 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> From d4654ad8f3412c79fa7d29427e66d2b964d5e191 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: dickmao <none>
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:13:38 -0400
> Subject: [PATCH] Unify gnus select methods into one defcustom

This seems like a good idea in general. Gnus users are often unwilling
to update their configs, but in this case I doubt anyone's really keen
on retaining the primary/secondary distinction -- there's not much point
to it. All the same, it's probably worth floating on gnus.general.

My only note would be to add plenty of code comments (around the
defcustoms) explaining what's going on here. I've considered making this
change in the past, but it didn't quite seem worth it unless we could
actually simplify the code -- doing away with gnus-select-method and
gnus-secondary-select-methods altogether. In a way your patch sort of
complicates things, in that a year from now a bug-hunter is going to
have to familiarize themselves with the hows and whys of the
relationship between those options and gnus-select-methods. In a
codebase that already contains a lot of mystery, I think it's important
to note explicitly what's been done.

Thanks,
Eric