Subject: bug#37926: [PATCH] Unify Gnus select methods

From: Deus Max <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 16:09:49 +0200

On Sat, Nov 02 2019, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Nov 02 2019, Deus Max wrote:
>
>> Preserving the one group of the primary selection makes it special
>
> That's the point of the primary select method.
>
Not really. Gnus started as a news reader and that was its primary use.
The other methods were added later and thus were "secondary".

Anyway, besides history, the 'primary-select-method' is arbitrary and
creates problems. Today, let's say, my primary provider is GMail, so it
is set as the 'primary-select-method'. Next month, it could be another,
perhaps switching to ProtonMail. Setting the new provider as the
'primary-select-method' creates all sorts of problems - not to mention
breaking all the org-gnus links.

Also, having different 'primary-select-method'(s) at home and office,
*confuses* org-mode !!

The purpose of unifying the select methods, is to treat them all the
same and reap the benefits. Otherwise, why change ?