Subject: Re: bug#37926: [PATCH] Unify Gnus select methods

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:21:40 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> Subject: [PATCH] Unify gnus select methods into one defcustom
>
> That was a long patch, and I'm not sure I understand what it's doing.
> Won't this basically break everybody's .newsrc.eld files?

Basically it's introducing a new customization option,
`gnus-select-methods' to obsolete `gnus-select-method' and
`gnus-secondary-select-methods'. The latter two options are retained,
and obsoleted only for 'set, not 'get. Then the defcustoms are jimmied
so that customizing any of the options also sets the other two, so that:

gnus-select-methods = (cons gnus-select-method gnus-secondary-select-methods)

`gnus-select-method' is still used, `gnus-secondary-select-methods' not
anymore.

It only works if you customize those options though, not setq, so I
don't see this being practically usable...

Eric