Subject: bug#37925: 26.3; Elisp manual: add index entry for sets/kinds of variables

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:02:26 +0300

tags 37925 wishlist moreinfo
thanks

> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 12:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> Please consider adding index entries that correspond directly to these
> node names.  A user should be able to do, for example (and preferably
> with or without the hyphen):
> 
>   i mode-line variables
> 
> Today that's not possible.

Yes, it is possible today, because each variable is indexed by its
name.  So, for example "i mode-line TAB" will show the list of all the
variables (and some other related topics as well).

In general, the technique of working with index entries that I
recommend is to try the text you thought about initially, in this case
"mode-line variables", and if that doesn't bring anything useful,
remove some text from the end and try again, with TAB.  (That is
assuming the above text is something you really thought about in some
real-life use case, and not a synthetic example of no practical
importance.)

Please consider describing use cases where the name of the variable,
or the results of TAB as above, will not let the user arrive to the
place where he or she needs to be.  Otherwise, what you ask for is to
provide one more index entry that begins like many others we already
have and points to the same place, something that is not useful, and
we therefore avoid it.

Thanks.