Subject: bug#37909: 25.3; repeat does not repeat yank correctly

From: "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 21:21:46 +0200

Trying to repeat the last yank 98 times using "C-u 98 M-x repeat" turned out
that the last yank wasn't inserted 98 times, but the last character of the last
yank (which is quite unexpected). Most preferrably as a vi-user I'd like C-u 98
C-y to yank the last kill 98 times, but things seem different.

For the records: The last kill was "' '{L/R:D=I<1-49>C<6>S< >U}
{L/R:D=I<0-9>}'", and the text inserted was
"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''".

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-05-04 built on lamb70
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description:    openSUSE Leap 15.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pop --without-hesiod --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-xim --with-wide-int --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib

--enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/25.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --build=x86_64-suse-linux 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Undo! [2 times]
Mark set
Repeating command 98 self-insert-command
You can run the command ‘repeat’ with C-x z
Repeating command 98 self-insert-command
Undo!
Mark set
Undo!
Making completion list... [2 times]
GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30) of 2019-05-04

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils repeat apropos misearch multi-isearch eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe vc-git sh-script smie smerge-mode cus-edit
wid-edit diff cus-start cus-load diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher vc-filewise
vc-rcs perl-mode ido seq ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l
ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-stata-mode ess-stata-lang cc-vars
cc-defs make-regexp essd-els ess-sp6-d ess-dde ess-sp3-d ess-julia
julia-mode ert pp findess-r-syntax ess-r-completion ess-roxy essddr ess-rd noutline outline
easy-mmode hideshow ess-s-lang ess-help ess ess-mode ess-noweb-mode
ess-inf ess-tracebug compile tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util
mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
cl-macs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice ess-generics cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-utils ess-site xfonts
rmailgen paren time-date mule-util delsel lpr tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 315008 16003)
 (symbols 48 31274 0)
 (miscs 40 462 461)
 (strings 32 52716 9687)
 (string-bytes 1 1531952)
 (vectors 16 47137)
 (vector-slots 8 859179 3988)
 (floats 8 332 474)
 (intervals 56 2744 70)
 (buffers 976 27))