Subject: [bug#37908] [PATCH 0/2] Remove monolithic qt5 (and other unused package)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 11:49:59 +0100

Hi Hartmut,

> Am 25.10.19 um 23:33 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>
>>> Actually, we should probably depreciate it and mark it superseded by
>>> qtbase for a while.
>> Yeah, I think we should do that and remove in one or two months.  (We
>> can also use ‘define-deprecated’ for the variable itself, like I did for
>> ‘guile-json’, to make sure channel authors notice.)
>
> Okay for me.
>
> But I don't understand how to use  ‘define-deprecated’.

If you write:

  (define-deprecated qt qtbase qtbase)

then every user of variable ‘qt’ will get a warning saying that ‘qt’ is
deprecated and that they should use ‘qtbase’ instead; furthermore, ‘qt’
will be an alias for ‘qtbase’ (which is maybe not a great idea.)

HTH!

Ludo’.