Subject: bug#37904: closed (Re: bug#37904: CPU overheating on recent laptops)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 14:56:03 +0000

Your bug report

#37904: CPU overheating on recent laptops

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37904: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37904
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37904: CPU overheating on recent laptops
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 16:55:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Is this problem still an issue?  Based on what Arne says above, it seems
> it isn't a fault in Guix, so perhaps we can close the issue and seek
> resolution upstream if a problem remains?

Yes, looks like we can close it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: CPU overheating on recent laptops
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:57:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I’ve had reports that Guix System on recent Dell laptops tends to lead
to overheating (with GNOME and all).

According to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_governor, all
the CPUs are running on the ‘performance’ governor by default, with
frequencies around 4 GHz (CPUs on these machines range from 400 MHz to
4.7 GHz).  So with just a load of 0.3 or so, the CPUs would be at ~65°C
(as reported by ‘sensors’) and the fans would start making noise.

If we explicitly change to the ‘powersave’ governor by writing to /sys,
frequencies go down and the machine behaves better.

However, I would expect UPower to do the right thing in the first
place.  Do you know what the story is here?  Are we missing some config
bits?

Also, there used to be an “ondemand” governor, which is no longer listed
in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors.
Was it removed or are we just missing a kconfig option?

Thanks,
Ludo’.