Subject: bug#379: apropos mostly a rummage heap

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 01:30:17 +0800

I was told to report this in a separate message. OK, here goes:
j> P.S., (apropos (quote ("mesg")) nil) shows
j>   In this buffer, go to the name of the command, or function, or variable,
j>   and type RET to get full documentation.

j>   mesg
j>   nomesg
j> But RET does nothing.
Actually the problem is bigger: (apropos (quote ("a")) nil) gives:

  If moving the mouse over text changes the text's color, you can click
  mouse-2 (second button from right) on that text to get more information.
  In this buffer, go to the name of the command, or function, or variable,
  and type RET to get full documentation.

      attribution
  &allow-other-keys
  &aux
  &optional
  *random-state*
    Variable: (not documented)
  --args--temp--
  --category--temp--...

And indeed all make some yellow when the mouse moves over them here in
X windows (which is bad usability, making one move the mouse over
something to tell what it will do), but only the ones marked
"variable" etc. will show anything when clicked.

Indeed, the impression is just a jumble of stuff found with UNIX
stings(1), with only a small percent useful in that one can learn what
they are about.