Subject: Bug: Resetting locale settings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 00:49:36 +0200

Hello guix,

I believe that a locale-related bug has slipped in somewhere in the last 
two-three weeks. During installation and in my configuration file, I 
have specified de_DE specified as locale, which should translate to a 
german keyboard layout. But since said two-three weeks, I startup with 
what I believe is the US layout (qwerty) - and before this occurred, I 
was once even unable to login because my keyboard layout has been 
changed to something so obscure it didnt even seem to know basic 
characters like the exclamation mark, while there was a number of 
characters that could not be displayed (probably non-utf characters I 
suppose).

In the latter case, I was able to login via 'loadkeys 
/run/current-system/profile/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1' in TTY 
(where I went with C-M-F2 or F3, nvm); but now, I am unable to set the 
keymap via loadkeys. When I dont use sudo, I receive the message 'data 
descriptor referring to console couldnt be found' (translated from 
german "Dateideskriptor, der auf die Konsole verweist, konnte nicht 
gefunden werden."); if I do use sudo, I dont get an error, but the 
keyboard layout doesnt change.

I really dont know what I could've contributed to produce such a 
situation. The only thing I noticed is that it KIND OF coincides with me 
installing glibc to make guile stop nagging that "locale couldnt be 
found" (or something like that).

Obviously, help would be appreciated :)

Greetings!