Subject: bug#37897: closed (Re: bug#37897: Bug: Resetting locale settings)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 21:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37897: Keyboard layout not honored under Xorg

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37897: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37897
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37897: Bug: Resetting locale settings
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 22:51:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

[email-masked] skribis:

> Hello ludo, hey guys,

Guys and gals.  :-)

> I realised that when I dont specify WHICH KIND of german keyboard
> layout I have, the problem does not occur. That is, if I use the
> (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "de")), I dont have any problems.

Oh I see, the “variant” part is indeed the problem.

> ;;  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "de" "latin1-nodeadkeys"))

If we build verbosely, we see:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
building /gnu/store/r3pibry4qsyfs090fcxglvfr52vfq3cx-console-keymap.de.drv...
WARNING: Can not find "latin1nodeadkeys" in "de".
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
successfully built /gnu/store/r3pibry4qsyfs090fcxglvfr52vfq3cx-console-keymap.de.drv
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

IOW, under the hood, the ‘ckbcomp’ program, which converts from XKB to
console layout data, wans us that it doesn’t know anything about
“latin1nodeadkeys” and then goes on to ignore the issue.  I’m not sure
how to avoid that.

As noted in
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Keyboard-Layout.html>,
the list of supported keyboard variants is to be found in the
‘xkeyboard-config’ package:

  less $(guix build xkeyboard-config)/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml

Though I have to admit that it’s not user-friendly.

Anyway, I’m closing the bug for now, but please to reopen it if you
think further discussion is needed (or email [email-masked]).

Thank you!

Ludo’.

Subject: Bug: Resetting locale settings
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 00:49:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello guix,

I believe that a locale-related bug has slipped in somewhere in the last 
two-three weeks. During installation and in my configuration file, I 
have specified de_DE specified as locale, which should translate to a 
german keyboard layout. But since said two-three weeks, I startup with 
what I believe is the US layout (qwerty) - and before this occurred, I 
was once even unable to login because my keyboard layout has been 
changed to something so obscure it didnt even seem to know basic 
characters like the exclamation mark, while there was a number of 
characters that could not be displayed (probably non-utf characters I 
suppose).

In the latter case, I was able to login via 'loadkeys 
/run/current-system/profile/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1' in TTY 
(where I went with C-M-F2 or F3, nvm); but now, I am unable to set the 
keymap via loadkeys. When I dont use sudo, I receive the message 'data 
descriptor referring to console couldnt be found' (translated from 
german "Dateideskriptor, der auf die Konsole verweist, konnte nicht 
gefunden werden."); if I do use sudo, I dont get an error, but the 
keyboard layout doesnt change.

I really dont know what I could've contributed to produce such a 
situation. The only thing I noticed is that it KIND OF coincides with me 
installing glibc to make guile stop nagging that "locale couldnt be 
found" (or something like that).

Obviously, help would be appreciated :)

Greetings!