Subject: Re: bug#37897: Bug: Resetting locale settings

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 22:44:55 +0200

Hello,

[email-masked] skribis:

> I believe that a locale-related bug has slipped in somewhere in the
> last two-three weeks. During installation and in my configuration
> file, I have specified de_DE specified as locale, which should
> translate to a german keyboard layout. But since said two-three weeks,
> I startup with what I believe is the US layout (qwerty) - and before
> this occurred, I was once even unable to login because my keyboard
> layout has been changed to something so obscure it didnt even seem to
> know basic characters like the exclamation mark, while there was a
> number of characters that could not be displayed (probably non-utf
> characters I suppose).

Could you be more specific about the context in which you get an
incorrect layout (console, Xorg, Wayland, GNOME, etc.)?

Note that locale settings and keyboard layout settings are entirely
separate—choosing the “de_DE” locale gives you programs that speak
German, but it does not give you a “qwertz” layout.  See:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Keyboard-Layout.html
  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Locales.html

HTH,
Ludo’.