Subject: Re: bug#37883: 27.0.50; read-file-name: Scrambled INITIAL

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:40:30 +0200

On Okt 23 2019, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> in emacs -Q (with default-directory -> ~/)
>
>   (read-file-name-default "File: " nil nil nil "~/.bash_history" nil)
>
> prompts with default minibuffer contents "/:~/~/.bash_history".  No part
> of that is shadowed (to indicate which part is meaningful).  Without
> fully understanding how the initial contents are calculated, it doesn't
> seem very useful with the doubled ~/.  Why can't INITIAL be used
> literally?

I think INITIAL is supposed to be a file name component, not a full file
name.  (The manual also discourages the use of INITIAL.)

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."