Subject: Re: bug#37881: 27.0.50; Changing font size in Info-mode messes up formatting of body text

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:27:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for suggesting this feature.

Thanks for taking the time to write up an insightful reply.

> The right way to have dynamically reflowed documentation text is to
> use something similar to HTML in conjunction with shr.el, and enhanced
> with Texinfo features (like index-search) not generally supported in
> HTML.  By a coincidence (or maybe something else), such a project is
> being slowly developed as part of the Texinfo package, you can find
> the relevant discussions on the bug-texinfo mailing list.  When this
> feature is part of Texinfo, we will have to think about implementing a
> corresponding browser for manuals thus formatted.

That does indeed sound very interesting.

> So I'm going to close this bug as wontfix; hopefully, you understand
> my rationale, and agree with it.

Yes, I agree.

I would have suggested that we perhaps could tell texinfo to reflow
the page for us to the correct number of columns, but I think waiting
for the above new feature sounds much better.  Since that's in the
pipeline, there is no point in wasting time implementing anything else
right now.

Thanks again,
Stefan Kangas