Subject: bug#37879: 26.3; ERC doesn't honor erc-channel-hide-list

From: "Peter K. Keller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 00:13:41 +0000

Hello,

When using the 'erc' package with emacs 26.3, the erc-channel-hide-list
is apparently totally ignored. I use ERC with use-package.

Here is an example form where I'm ignoring events from official and
non-official channels on freenode.

      (setq erc-channel-hide-list '(("#lispgames" "JOIN" "PART" "QUIT")
                                    ("##hacker-theory" "JOIN" "PART" "QUIT")
                                    ("#lisp" "JOIN" "PART" "QUIT")
                                    ("#emacs" "JOIN" "PART" "QUIT")))

If I put the above in :init or :config, it doesn't matter. I still see
all those events in those channels.

Thank you!

-pete

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-10-22 built on violet
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Recent messages:
C-x M-> is undefined
error in process filter: erc-display-message: Wrong type argument: listp, (74
79 73 78 80 65 82 84 . "QUIT")
error in process filter: Wrong type argument: listp, (74 79 73 78 80 65 82 84 .
"QUIT")
Mark set
error in process filter: erc-display-message: Wrong type argument: listp, (74
79 73 78 80 65 82 84 . "QUIT")
error in process filter: Wrong type argument: listp, (74 79 73 78 80 65 82 84 .
"QUIT")
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
uncompressing .!home!psilord!.emacs.d!init.el.~undo-tree~.gz...done
Mark saved where search started
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [33 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  sly-autodoc-mode: t
  magit-todos-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail ielm misearch multi-isearch
jka-compr erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete
erc-track erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit network-stream
starttls elec-pair saveplace erc-match erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat sly-macrostep macrostep sly-fancy sly-tramp tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize parse-time
sly-indentation sly-cl-indent cl-indent sly-stickers color hi-lock
sly-trace-dialog sly-fontifying-fu sly-package-fu sly-scratch
sly-fancy-trace sly-fancy-inspector sly-autodoc sly-parse sly-mrepl sly
sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common apropos etags xref
project arc-mode archive-mode pp hyperspec browse-url gist gh-gist
gh-oauth gh-api logito gh-cache pcache gh-auth gh-url url-http tls
gnutls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
mailcap url-auth url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-gw nsm gh-profile
json map timezone eieio-base magit-todos pcre2el rxt re-builder rx
hl-todo f s grep magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode transient
git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils log-edit message rmc puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async shell dash tuareg
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe caml compile smie caml-help merlin-cap
merlin caml-types caml-emacs crm utop utop-minor-mode pcase dired
dired-loaddefs org-bullets org-element avl-tree generator
the-org-mode-expansions org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
windmove expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
thingatpt expand-region-core expand-region-custom which-key autorevert
filenotify diminish undo-tree derived diff color-theme wid-edit server
edmacro kmacro hydra ring lv advice cl-extra help-mode use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core subr-x
finder-inf gh-common marshal eieio-compat sly-macrostep-autoloads
sly-autoloads cl undo-tree-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 582103 309446)
 (symbols 48 46267 6)
 (miscs 40 321 841)
 (strings 32 131331 40223)
 (string-bytes 1 3603970)
 (vectors 16 77388)
 (vector-slots 8 1663024 205352)
 (floats 8 458 886)
 (intervals 56 2055 1101)
 (buffers 992 22))