Subject: Re: bug#37875: 27.0.50; `run-with-timer' not documented in (elisp)Timers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 13:37:08 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Not really -- I wondered why there were two functions (run-with-timer
>> and run-at-time) that are identical.
>
> Because they aren't identical, see Phil's response.  run-after-delay
> was just that: it would run the function after a delay of SECS, and
> that argument isn't supposed to be anything but a number of seconds to
> wait from NOW.

I grepped through the tree -- people seem to use the two functions
interchangeably (i.e., there are calls to run-with-timer with a t value
for SECS etc).

But, OK, if you want to have two functions that are identical (only
differing in the doc string), then both functions should be documented
in the lispref manual.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no