Subject: Re: bug#37871: 27.0.50; Merge feature/gnus-select2

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 06:53:30 +0800

Dear Basil

>>>>> "BLC" == Basil L Contovounesios <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

    BLC> I already pushed some minor code/doc cleanups to more closely
    BLC> follow Emacs conventions in:

    BLC> Fix formatting of recent Gnus nnselect changes d7197f9d99
    BLC> 2020-09-06 16:06:57 +0100
    BLC> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=d7197f9d99ca6aa326d38e64ca9eb1d13e18d664

Thanks for all this!

    BLC> But I have some remaining comments.

    BLC> First, the merge introduced the following build warning:

    BLC>   In end of data: org/ol-gnus.el:271:1: Warning: the function
    BLC> ‘nnir-article-group’ is not known to be defined.

    BLC> Org should probably be updated to use the new names of things.

Clearly this needs to be changed. I wasn't expecting this internal
function to be used outside of gnus (and it probably shouldn't). 

    BLC> Second, several changes in gnus-msg.el have resulted in
    BLC> misindented code of the form:

Ugh. I spent hours trying to make sure the code was indented properly. I
must be doing something wrong.

    BLC>   (unwind-protect (progn (one-single-form)) ;; No unwind forms!
    BLC> )

I'm sorry I don't see exactly which unwind-protect you are referring to?
I don't think I changed any of the several unwind protects in
gnus-msg.el. Maybe someone else remembers why they are this way?

    BLC> If the unwind-protect+progn wrappers are no longer needed, they
    BLC> should be removed and the code reindented.

    BLC> More worryingly, some of the changes that let-bind
    BLC> gnus-newsgroup-name are preceded by the following commentary:

    BLC>   ;; We can't `let' gnus-newsgroup-name here, since that leads
    BLC> ;; to local variables leaking.

    BLC> If the leaking is still an issue, then the nnselect changes
    BLC> should be reconsidered; otherwise these stale comments should
    BLC> be removed.

I believe the leaking was a bug that has been dealt with, so the
comments should be removed. However I might have failed to fix it (I
have had a variety of people test it, but you never know).

    BLC> Third, the bodies of gnus-fetch-headers and nnheader-parse-nov
    BLC> are misindented.  (BTW, please respect the setting of
    BLC> indent-tabs-mode in Emacs' top-level dir-locals-file, and
    BLC> especially don't use tab characters for aligning comments to
    BLC> the right of code.)

See my above comment :(  All settings are at default, so I must be
making some other stupid mistake.

    BLC> Finally, the merge makes several backward-incompatible changes
    BLC> to user options which should be rectified, lest we break
    BLC> existing user configurations.  The renamed user options
    BLC> gnus-refer-thread-use-nnir and
    BLC> nnir-retrieve-headers-override-function should be defined as
    BLC> obsolete varaliases for their new names
    BLC> gnus-refer-thread-use-search and
    BLC> nnselect-retrieve-headers-override-function, respectively.
    BLC> Also, their :version tags should be bumped to 28.1.  The
    BLC> removed user option nnir-summary-line-format should still be
    BLC> defined but made obsolete.

Right. Thanks for noting these.

    BLC> Thanks,

    BLC> -- Basil