Subject: Re: bug#37871: 27.0.50; Merge feature/gnus-select2

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 16:33:40 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> And it's in!

Thanks to everyone who worked on this!

I already pushed some minor code/doc cleanups to more closely follow
Emacs conventions in:

Fix formatting of recent Gnus nnselect changes
d7197f9d99 2020-09-06 16:06:57 +0100
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=d7197f9d99ca6aa326d38e64ca9eb1d13e18d664

But I have some remaining comments.

First, the merge introduced the following build warning:

  In end of data:
  org/ol-gnus.el:271:1: Warning: the function ‘nnir-article-group’ is not known
      to be defined.

Org should probably be updated to use the new names of things.

Second, several changes in gnus-msg.el have resulted in misindented code
of the form:

  (unwind-protect
      (progn
        (one-single-form))
    ;; No unwind forms!
    )

If the unwind-protect+progn wrappers are no longer needed, they should
be removed and the code reindented.

More worryingly, some of the changes that let-bind gnus-newsgroup-name
are preceded by the following commentary:

  ;; We can't `let' gnus-newsgroup-name here, since that leads
  ;; to local variables leaking.

If the leaking is still an issue, then the nnselect changes should be
reconsidered; otherwise these stale comments should be removed.

Third, the bodies of gnus-fetch-headers and nnheader-parse-nov are
misindented.  (BTW, please respect the setting of indent-tabs-mode in
Emacs' top-level dir-locals-file, and especially don't use tab
characters for aligning comments to the right of code.)

Finally, the merge makes several backward-incompatible changes to user
options which should be rectified, lest we break existing user
configurations.  The renamed user options gnus-refer-thread-use-nnir and
nnir-retrieve-headers-override-function should be defined as obsolete
varaliases for their new names gnus-refer-thread-use-search and
nnselect-retrieve-headers-override-function, respectively.  Also, their
:version tags should be bumped to 28.1.  The removed user option
nnir-summary-line-format should still be defined but made obsolete.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil