Subject: [bug#37868] [PATCH v2 2/2] system: Add kernel-module-packages to operating-system.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:18:18 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:36:40 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Could you also add an entry in guix.texi?

OK!

> > +                 (module-directories (input-files "/lib/modules"))
> > +                 (System.maps (input-files "/System.map"))
> > +                 (Module.symverss (input-files "/Module.symvers"))  
>                                    ^
> Typo.

Not really.  The file is called "Module.symvers" and those are multiple
"Module.symvers"s.  It's my naming convention for lists.  If we don't
want that then I can change it here.

> I wonder what’s missing form (gnu build linux-modules) to do the
> “depmod” bit entirely in Scheme.

Probably not a lot, but there are quite a few binary cache files (.bin)
generated by depmod and not by us--not sure whether we want to replicate
that complexity given the problems we had even with the initrd stuff.

I'm not sure whether those bin files are mandatory or optional to have.

>  It would be nice for several reasons,
> one of which is that we wouldn’t need the ‘manifest-lookup-package’
> hack, which in turn would allow us to keep this procedure out of (guix
> profiles).

Yeah.