Subject: [bug#37868] [PATCH] guix: Allow multiple packages to provide Linux modules in the system profile.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:30:56 +0100

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> any comments about this patch?

I commented on an earlier version of this patch at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00514.html>.

Let me know what you think!

> I don't want to just push this to guix master without any discussion since it
> establishes an interface that has to keep working for a long time.

I agree, thanks for the heads-up.

> Open questions:
>
> * Why doesn't operating-system-profile successfully add linux-libre ?

What do you mean?  Currently ‘linux-libre’ is not added to the global
profile, and I think it’s nicer this way (we’re not clobbering the
profile).

> * Do we want to be able to add kernel modules in this fashion without requiring
> a reboot?  If so, that would make the situation a lot more complicated and I
> don't see a safe way to do that.

If we arrange for those kernel modules to show up in
/run/current-system/kernel as I suggested in the message linked above,
it should work (assuming the running kernel and the target kernel are
the same, of course).

Thanks,
Ludo’.