Subject: bug#37866: Finder of MacOS Catalina cannot open a file with Emacs

From: Masso Chailly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:36:11 +0900

After upgrading to macOS Catalina, Emacs (v26.3 from GNU Emacs for Mac OS X) works very strange. Without Emacs already running, Finder can open a file with Emacs as usual. But once Emacs.app is running, it cannot any longer. For example, double clicking the file on Finder window does nothing; no error message, either.

Opening a file from Emacs GUI causes no problem. Drag-ang-drop'ing a file onto Emacs also works fine.

Best regards,

Masso

%%%%

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-09-02 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
Recent messages:
Loading /Users/Masso/Tower/Emacs/Preferences.el (source)...
Loading ‘web-mode’: unescaped character literals `?]' detected!
Loading /Users/Masso/Tower/Emacs/Preferences.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/Masso/Tower/Emacs/Customizations.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading dired-x...done
Loading dired-aux...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired-aux dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils Preferences server web-mode advice derived
edmacro kmacro disp-table bibwiz refley texson undo-tree diff buffet
ls-lisp seeker basil apple aurora keys paren delsel cua-base
deeper-blue-theme finder-inf info tex-site package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 284274 11043)
 (symbols 48 24080 2)
 (miscs 40 50 252)
 (strings 32 44149 2072)
 (string-bytes 1 1156678)
 (vectors 16 39426)
 (vector-slots 8 774132 9466)
 (floats 8 73 63)
 (intervals 56 224 0)
 (buffers 992 11))