Subject: Re: bug#37865: guix pull: error: You found a bug:

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:21:58 +0200

Hi Kai,

Kai Mertens <[email-masked]> skribis:

> unfortunately, I do not manage to update my GNU Guix version via “guix
> pull”. The command fails with the listed message after being executed
> for about 16hours.

Did you enable substitutes from <https://ci.guix.gnu.org>?
See <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.

If it run for 16 hours, it may be that substitutes were disabled or
unavailable for some reason, and that Guix went ahead and started
building lots of things, eventually failing.

Perhaps the lines before the error showed the actual build issue?

> guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program '/gnu/store/vi260mff4pp4svm3rwz7lcq7kcdxa03k-compute-guix-derivation'
> failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version: "f0bbf894a1f935c1e0109f35899acb6dfcb977f2"; system: "i686-linux";
> host version: "2e62ba46e2dc6f27398a65eb157b4ce711ff0e6b"; pull-version: 1).
> Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.

I tried reproducing it by doing:

  guix pull --commit=2e62ba46e2dc6f27398a65eb157b4ce711ff0e6b -p /tmp/old-guix
  /tmp/old-guix/bin/guix pull --commit=f0bbf894a1f935c1e0109f35899acb6dfcb977f2 -p /tmp/old-to-new

but that worked.

So I guess the problem has to do with a transient build failure or
something.

Thanks,
Ludo’.