Subject: Re: bug#37865: guix pull: error: You found a bug:

From: Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 02:52:13 +0100

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 04:52:14 -0700
Bengt Richter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My bet is you'll revert your workarounds, do a guix pull and maybe guix update for good measure,
> then guix install glibc-utf8-locales (unless you have an exotic locale, in which case you may need
> to do guix install glibc-locales) then reboot, and hopefully the locale complaints will be gone.

Hi Bengt,

hmm, yes, this is exactly what I did. I reverted my workarounds, but
found some constraints that I was not aware of, see list below.

(This applies to
  guix describe (GNU Guix) 7696af421b9fa05f479cda9c742883a99e6faec3
on top of trisquel or debian.)

1) File ~/.profile is not read by bash in case file ~/.bash_profile is
present. As a result, some settings were skipped when I used the latter
file to define environment variables. Now I set GUIX_PROFILE and source
$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile (as suggested by guix) within ~/.profile.
This works fine.

2) Additionally, I have to explicitly define more standard content for
XDG_DATA_DIRS (as like “/usr/share” and “/usr/local/share”) when
sourcing the guix profile environment as with 1). This is essential,
otherwise my graphic login won't work. I don't understand why, though.

3) In order to get rid of "guile: warning: failed to set locale" with
commands like “guix package -I”, I install matching versions of
glibc-locales (or glibc-utf8-locales) *and* glibc. Having only the
locales package installed is not sufficient. This might be obvious for
experienced users, but I myself was not aware of that ANDed condition.

4) Furthermore, with an old initial version of guix, PATH needs to
point to “$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin” to make sure that I am running
the latest version of guix. Otherwise the locale complains will be back.

This concept of environment variables confused me in the beginning, but
now I start to get more familiar.

best regards
Kai

-- 
Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
OpenPGP Key-ID: 0x40B15AB4B05B5BF1 on keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint = 7C83 0A80 01FF 679C 6E8E  AFD3 40B1 5AB4 B05B 5BF1
What is that? Please check: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/