Subject: Re: bug#37865: guix pull: error: You found a bug:

From: Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:54:19 +0100

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 13:49:56 -0700
Bengt Richter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > 
> > When invoking guix package -I for example, I encountered an error
> > like guile: failed to install locale
> >  
> 
> I have encountered the same error. It seems to recur for me after
> major updates. So there seems to be something lurking to reawaken the
> real error message source. I collected some symptoms and posted them
> as bug#37900.
> 

Hello Bengt,

as I see, issue #37900 is closed, but I don't understand the solution,
unfortunately.

This issue #37865 is closed as well, so I don't know whether this reply
reaches you well and is placed correctly.

I for myself use a different way to get around the warning messages,
which re-occurred after a while:

 $ guix package -I
 guile: warning: failed to install locale
 warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

I have the impression, that

cat<<EOF >> ~/.bash_profile
GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
source "\$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
EOF

is not enough to provide full information regarding search paths.

As a complement, I put the output of

 guix package --search-paths -p "$HOME/.guix-profile"

into my ‘~/.bashrc’, but append the

 ${<VAR>:+:}$<VAR>

pattern to each line in order to keep existing variable content.

However, it seems as if the output of that command is incomplete as
well, as it often (not always) misses information regarding
GUIX_LOCPATH and PATH (~/.config/guix/current).

I append these definitions as well, just to make sure they are not
missing. (In a helper script, I use a ‘sort -u’ to avoid redundant
occurences of lines.)

cat<<EOF >> ~/.bashrc
export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin\${PATH:+:}\$PATH"
export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale\${GUIX_LOCPATH:+:}\$GUIX_LOCPATH"
EOF

Placing these complementary lines altogether in ~/.bash_profile won't
help me, I use ~/.bashrc instead.

Then I perform a logout, login sequence and the error messages
disappear and everything seems to run smoothly.

I update my ~/.bashrc after each new package generation.

As a conclusion, I would like to word three assumptions:

1. sourcing GUIX_PROFILE is not enough
2. output of ‘guix package --search-paths’ is incomplete
3. ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc are not equally weighted in respect to
   guix environment settings

@all
What do you think? Could this be regarded as useful information?
Or does it address my specific use case only?

best regards
Kai

-- 
Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
OpenPGP Key-ID: 0x40B15AB4B05B5BF1 on keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint = 7C83 0A80 01FF 679C 6E8E  AFD3 40B1 5AB4 B05B 5BF1
What is that? Please check: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/