Subject: Re: bug#37865: guix pull: error: You found a bug:

From: Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 08:55:03 +0200

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:21:58 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Kai,

Hello Ludovic,

> Kai Mertens <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > unfortunately, I do not manage to update my GNU Guix version via “guix
> > pull”. The command fails with the listed message after being executed
> > for about 16hours.  
> 
> Did you enable substitutes from <https://ci.guix.gnu.org>?
> See <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.
> 

hmm, I did not enable substitutes explicitly in the command line, but
as far as I remember, I allowed guix to use substitutes when I set it
up some time ago. Is there a handy command that helps me to check the
current configuration? Anyway, I was not using option --no-substitutes.

> If it run for 16 hours, it may be that substitutes were disabled or
> unavailable for some reason, and that Guix went ahead and started
> building lots of things, eventually failing.

Hmm, shall I try
 guix pull --substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.gnu.org
next time?

> 
> Perhaps the lines before the error showed the actual build issue?

Ahh, you are right. And please accept my apologies, as I did not see
the essential hint:

> command "make" "check" "-j" "2" failed with status 2
> note: build failure may have been caused by lack of free disk space
> builder for `/gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv' failed with exit code 1
> @ build-failed /gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv - 1 builder for `/gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv' failed with exit code 1
> cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/fpfj0ds2vd7vapp54dkf09jipl0mkzgw-ghostscript-9.27.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
> [...]

Indeed, at the time of failure, the root partition had only about 2.8G
space left. But /tmp had something like 9G in spare. I wonder if I can
tell guix to use as much tmp-space as applicable?

> 
> > guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
> > '/gnu/store/vi260mff4pp4svm3rwz7lcq7kcdxa03k-compute-guix-derivation'
> > failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
> > "f0bbf894a1f935c1e0109f35899acb6dfcb977f2"; system: "i686-linux";
> > host version: "2e62ba46e2dc6f27398a65eb157b4ce711ff0e6b";
> > pull-version: 1). Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.  
> 
> I tried reproducing it by doing:
> 
>   guix pull --commit=2e62ba46e2dc6f27398a65eb157b4ce711ff0e6b
> -p /tmp/old-guix /tmp/old-guix/bin/guix pull
> --commit=f0bbf894a1f935c1e0109f35899acb6dfcb977f2 -p /tmp/old-to-new
> 
> but that worked.
> 
> So I guess the problem has to do with a transient build failure or
> something.
> 

I will try to enlarge the root partition and try again.
Would you mind to give a recommendation for its size?

Thanks for your immediate, kind response!!
best regards
Kai

-- 
Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
OpenPGP Key-ID: 0x40B15AB4B05B5BF1 on keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint = 7C83 0A80 01FF 679C 6E8E  AFD3 40B1 5AB4 B05B 5BF1
What is that? Please check: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/