Subject: Re: bug#37865: guix pull: error: You found a bug:

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:50:44 +0200

Hi,

Kai Mertens <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:21:58 +0200
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kai,
>> 
>
> Hello Ludovic,
>
>> Kai Mertens <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>> > unfortunately, I do not manage to update my GNU Guix version via “guix
>> > pull”. The command fails with the listed message after being executed
>> > for about 16hours.  
>> 
>> Did you enable substitutes from <https://ci.guix.gnu.org>?
>> See <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.
>> 
>
> hmm, I did not enable substitutes explicitly in the command line, but
> as far as I remember, I allowed guix to use substitutes when I set it
> up some time ago. Is there a handy command that helps me to check the
> current configuration? Anyway, I was not using option --no-substitutes.

If you installed it long ago, it could be that you authorized
substitutes from hydra.gnu.org (the former CI server, discontinued in
June¹) but not from ci.guix.gnu.org.

So you would need to check:

  1. which substitute URL guix-daemon is using;

  2. which keys are authorized in /etc/guix/acl.

The above chapter of the manual has more info on this.

LMK how it goes!

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-guix/2019-06/msg00001.html

> Ahh, you are right. And please accept my apologies, as I did not see
> the essential hint:
>
>> command "make" "check" "-j" "2" failed with status 2
>> note: build failure may have been caused by lack of free disk space
>> builder for `/gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv' failed with exit code 1
>> @ build-failed /gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv - 1 builder for `/gnu/store/wswfwmyrbd39blimabdkm46z6b138rlc-tar-1.32.drv' failed with exit code 1
>> cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/fpfj0ds2vd7vapp54dkf09jipl0mkzgw-ghostscript-9.27.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
>> [...]
>
> Indeed, at the time of failure, the root partition had only about 2.8G
> space left. But /tmp had something like 9G in spare. I wonder if I can
> tell guix to use as much tmp-space as applicable?

Guix needs space in /gnu/store to store the actual build results, and it
needs space in /tmp when it’s building stuff.

Building ‘tar’, for example, consumes quite a bit of space (in /tmp)
because its test suite runs on large files.

> I will try to enlarge the root partition and try again.
> Would you mind to give a recommendation for its size?

It depends on your use case of course, but most likely you’ll need at
least a dozen GiB.

But first, I recommend figuring out the substitute story so you don’t
have to build everything locally!

Thanks,
Ludo’.