Subject: Re: bug#37850: Glib documentation is missing

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:04:53 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Alternately, we could define a new “glib-doc” package that would depend
> on the current “glib” package, assuming the build system allows us to
> build nothing but documentation.

Some possible drawbacks:

- It's not consistent with the other Glib/GNOME libraries like gtk+ or
  webkitgtk which have a "doc" output.

- Previously we had glib:doc and no measure can be taken to let the user
  know that it's now "glib-doc".

So I would got for the glib-minimal route.

This bring me to another problem: "glib:doc" was not deprecated, so
users who installed "glib:doc" cannot update their manifests / profiles
after a guix pull.

Can we actually deprecate single outputs?
If not, isn't it a bug?

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/