Subject: Re: bug#37829: 27.0.50; Overlay behaviour changed without documentation.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:43:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But under the assumption that most faces should not be extended, that
> would mean our default is wrong in most cases, and what kind of
> default is that?

I agree that it's a bad default, but changing it now is going to require
that a lot of people is going to have to change their code.

>> And there certainly aren't unlimited places we have to change thing
>> in-tree, because most things in-tree look just how we wanted them to.
>
> I said "including those not in core".

We don't have to change things not in core.

I'm for not changing defaults like this unnecessarily.  And it is
unnecessary -- things work for people now (because they've adapted to
the behaviour), and having the default be the established behaviour
wouldn't limit the usability of the feature.

But I'm going to stop arguing about this now, because we're just
restating our arguments.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no