Subject: Re: bug#37829: 27.0.50; Overlay behaviour changed without documentation.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 13:43:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> And doing this the opposite way makes no sense to me, it's in effect
> the same as removing the feature.

I don't understand.  Doing it the opposite way would be just as
expressive.

> > This change breaks a lot of out-of-tree code.
>
> No, it doesn't break any code.  It changes how display looks in some
> cases, so people are surprised at first.

You may quibble, but changing the look this radically is breaking the
code for me.

> For this particular bug report, why would someone expect the overlay's
> color to extend to the end of the line instead of affecting only the
> text that the overlay covers?

Because that's the way Emacs has worked since forever: If you put a face
on a newline, then it'll extend to the end of the line.

We do that because that's the way we wanted the display to look.  If we
didn't want that, we didn't put the face on the newline.  

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no