Subject: bug#37826: Very annoying autoraise client/server behavior with -t option

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:57:04 +0300

> From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:14:32 -0300
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> I've addressed this point in the less sketchy patch I'm attaching, it
> was simpler than I'd though, I believe I'm covering all input cases.

Thanks.

We generally prefer not to use advice-add etc. in our own code.  What
I had in mind was to modify the places where such messages originate,
and make them use delay-message under the right circumstances.  If
there's some mechanism to do this without changing each place, I'm
okay with that, but using advice is not one of them.

> Btw, here is another noisy case: when visiting a new file you get a
> "(New file)" message.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this on my system.  In fact, I cannot even
reproduce your original reported issue with visiting a
shell-scrip-mode file: I get a new frame with the message, and no old
frame is raised.  Are you using something other than "emacsclient -c"?
If not, I guess this is specific to your window-manager?  Or what am I
missing?