Subject: bug#37819: [PATCH] Make 'load-dangerous-libraries' obsolete

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 13:55:35 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> I suspect that 'load-dangerous-libraries' is largely irrelevant
> >> nowadays.  Is this correct?  If yes, here is a patch which would
> >> ignore it and declare it obsolete.
> >
> > What is the purpose of declaring this obsolete?  I'd argue we should
> > keep this "forever", since it can never do any harm, and sometimes
> > might do an important job.
>
> The patch just makes Emacs refuse to load .elc files compiled by XEmacs
> permanently, so it looks like the right thing to me.

That is my understanding too.  The use-case of loading XEmacs byte
code is, I think, not very relevant.

Is it used for anything else?  If yes, I think we should change the
documentation to discuss that instead.  If no, I believe making it
obsolete makes sense.

> But perhaps for Emacs 28.

I have nothing against that.  (We'd also have to announce this in
NEWS; I didn't do that yet.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas