Subject: Re: bug#37786: 26.3; Emacs crashes when calling function to decode string

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:02:34 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 18:18:34 -0700, Allen Li <[email-masked]> said:
    Allen> That gives me the following output:

    Allen> Loading file /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Regular.otf/0
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-It.otf/0 matches new
    Allen> Loading file /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-It.otf/0
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Light.otf/0 matches new
    Allen> Loading file /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Light.otf/0
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Bold.otf/0 matches new
    Allen> Loading file /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Bold.otf/0
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Regular.otf/0 matches existing (2)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Light.otf/0 matches existing (2)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Bold.otf/0 matches existing (2)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Regular.otf/0 matches existing (3)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Light.otf/0 matches existing (3)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Bold.otf/0 matches existing (3)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Regular.otf/0 matches existing (4)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro/SourceCodePro-Regular.otf/0 matches existing (4)
    Allen> FontFile /usr/share/fonts/noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf/0 matches new
    Allen> Loading file /usr/share/fonts/noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf/0

    Allen> and then Emacs hangs at this point.

Hmm, that configuration of emacs should not be loading NotoColorEmoji
(unless you've somehow arranged for xft-ignore-color-fonts to be
nil). What's your version of fontconfig (probably from
/usr/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h)?

(note that building emacs-27 with cairo enabled should solve this:
that doesnʼt use XFT).

Robert