Subject: Re: bug#37774: 27.0.50; new :extend attribute broke visuals of all themes and other packages

From: Andrey Orst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 14:33:37 +0300

Sorry anyone if I disturbed your personal email addresses, I didn't
understand
how to reply there and thought that cc to [email-masked] would do
the trick. I see that my messages don't appear at the bug report page, so
I'll
send those back as a single e-mail. Still don't understand where I should
properly
reply.

> So please explain what exactly is incorrect or "weird" in the visual
> appearance after the change.  Specifically, why the faces in question
> need to be extended past EOL?

These faces are forming visual interface, e.g. hunks in Magit are
rectangular
regions with background color for entire width of the window that can be
folded.
Code blocks in org mode are, ahem, blocks. Now those blocks doesn't have
anything like block visually.

> So you are saying that you don't like the new appearance?  The Subject
> says "broke visuals", which sounds like a much more serious problem.

Well, "broke" may be wrong term, here, but lot of themes and packages
crafted
in a way to display things like that, and now all of those things displayed
accordingly
to a new setting, which in turn means that:

a) package maintainers should update *all* their packages to look like
before the change, and
b) maybe Emacs could treat `nil` here as "do not affect", and specify
symbols to set this to different
   settings, like `:extend t` or `:extend 'EOL`, and `:extend 'noextend` to
disable. Though, I do not
   know how code was changed, so maybe there's no way to treat `nil` as "do
not affect".

-- 
Best regards,
Andrey Orst