Subject: bug#37774: 27.0.50; new :extend attribute broke visuals of all themes and other packages

From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:10:04 +0200

Hi Eli and Martin:

I have seen these reports and also the ones in reddit. Do you think that
we should/must/can do anything about?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:53:21AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Andrey Orst <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 10:00:38 +0300
>>
>> Somewhat last checkout from master brought the change of face
>> attributes, adding new `:extend` attribute, which make all themes, and
>> packages like Magit display weirdly.  By this I mean that before the
>> change, some faces were set up to extend highlighting beyond EOL, but
>> now all of those faces are not doing this.  I've first reported this to
>> the theme package I'm using:
>> https://github.com/hlissner/emacs-doom-themes/issues/342 but I think
>> that this should be handled by emacs itself, because if not it will
>> result in the duplicated or extra code in themes fro different Emacs
>> versions.  This reddit post has some screenshots of what I mean:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/diahh1/emacs_27_update_changed_how_highlighted_lines/
>
>The screenshots you posted don't clearly explain the problem.  Some of
>them seem actually identical before and after the change, and with
>others I don't think I see the problem.
>
>So please explain what exactly is incorrect or "weird" in the visual
>appearance after the change.  Specifically, why the faces in question
>need to be extended past EOL?
>
>Thanks.