Subject: Re: bug#37774: 27.0.50; new :extend attribute broke visuals of all themes and other packages

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:25:59 +0200

>> Btw, please take into account that what that change caused is that
 >> Emacs now behaves like other applications in this regard.
 >
 > I don't know what applications behave the same.  I tried different
 > editors that I could find (namely LibreOffice Writer and xed)
 > and all they extend highlighting of the selected region
 > to the window right edge, not to EOL.

I miss you here.  Emacs now by default also extends the region to the
right window edge.  OTOH both Mozilla and Thunderbird here extend the
region to EOL only.

 > Also I looked how other applications extend diff blocks, and e.g.
 > GitLab extends diff background colors to the window right edge,
 > not to EOL, for example,
 > https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/3d6075e3ee8c447f8974b37007a1b1ae1af8917c

With Firefox these diffs are boxed in a subarea of the Firefox window.
They do not start or extend at the window edges and text in these
boxes is static, can neither overflow into a newline nor be broken.

But I think that our (e)diff blocks are affected by the change and all
their face settings probably have to change, as well as tables and
listings.

martin