Subject: bug#37757: Kernel panic upon shutdown

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 23:28:30 +0100

Hi,

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Attached is a picture of the kernel panic. It happened when I tried to shut
> down.
> I do not know what log to look at to get any details about what happened
> about that time. Of course, the panic itself is not in any of the logs in
> /var/log.
> This is not the first time there was a kernel panic during the shutdown
> process.

I’ve just seen it on a laptop running GNOME and ‘%desktop-services’.
The kernel panic appeared right after shutting down ModemManager (I
don’t have ModemManager on my own laptop and I’ve never experienced the
bug, but I don’t know if it’s significant.)

Note that we see (roughly):

  attempted to kill init! exit code=0x0000000b

which, unless I’m mistaken, means that PID 1 segfaulted (SIGSEGV = 11),
which is bad.

According to reboot(2), the ‘reboot’ syscall doesn’t return in this
case, so the segfault must have happened before the ‘reboot’ call.

The problem appeared roughly after the ‘core-updates’ merge, but I don’t
see any change to the ‘reboot’ wrapper in glibc 2.29.

Is it reproducible for you in a VM built with ‘guix system vm’?  If
would be helpful if we had that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.