Subject: Re: bug#37754: wish for grep --and -eX -eY -eZ (X∩Y∩Z intersection, not X∪Y∪Z union)

From: "Paul Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:35:38 -0500

I'm currently working on rewriting and packaging up a tool that
I use to handle such high volume [and/or/not] filters on long lists
of file pathnames and of log file entries.  It's a tool I've had in
my private toolbox for decades.  I call it "ftest".   It has a rich set
of "test" like flags for testing stat(2) attributes of file, but is
optimized for working in pipelines (as a filter, hence the "f").

Trent - do you need regular expression matching, or is glob matching
easily sufficient, or would even just fixed string matching be useful?

For [and/or/not] logical combinations of full regular expressions, 
I'll probably continue to use awk, as Paul Eggert suggested, though
that might be because I've long been an awk user, since teaching
an awk class to other engineers inside Bell Labs, some 40 years ago.

Perhaps sometime, months into the future, I'll follow up with an
update pointing to my "ftest" command on github.

-- 
                Paul Jackson
                [email-masked]