Subject: bug#37737: Documentation should mention that source checkout must be readable by the guixbuild group if guix-daemon is run from there

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:13:53 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay.

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 15:54, David Truby <[email-masked]> wrote:

> When following the Contributing section of the manual in my home
> directory, I was unable to use the built guix to do anything as I hit
> upon a message saying "error: failed to run download program
> '/home/truby/src/guix/scripts/guix': Permission denied​"
>
> After some debugging I realised this was because my home directory was
> not world readable. I think to avoid other people having this problem
> it might be worth mentioning in the manual that the source directory
> needs to be readable by the guixbuild group for the users in that
> group to be able to actually build anything. (In hindsight, this seems
> obvious to me. But it wasn't when I first ran through that section of
> the manual!)

Since it appears to me obvious, I am not sure to see how to improve.
Because you ran into the problem, do you want to give a try in rewording
somewhere in the manual?

All the best,
simon