Subject: bug#37737: Documentation should mention that source checkout must be readable by the guixbuild group if guix-daemon is run from there

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 14:31:51 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 14:13, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 15:54, David Truby <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> When following the Contributing section of the manual in my home
>> directory, I was unable to use the built guix to do anything as I hit
>> upon a message saying "error: failed to run download program
>> '/home/truby/src/guix/scripts/guix': Permission denied​"
>>
>> After some debugging I realised this was because my home directory was
>> not world readable. I think to avoid other people having this problem
>> it might be worth mentioning in the manual that the source directory
>> needs to be readable by the guixbuild group for the users in that
>> group to be able to actually build anything. (In hindsight, this seems
>> obvious to me. But it wasn't when I first ran through that section of
>> the manual!)
>
> Since it appears to me obvious, I am not sure to see how to improve.
> Because you ran into the problem, do you want to give a try in rewording
> somewhere in the manual?

Do you think it is worth to add one line in this section about Building
from Git [1] or this one about Running from Source [2]?

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git>
2:<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Running-Guix-Before-It-Is-Installed>

All the best,
simon