Subject: bug#37732: closed (Re: bug#37732: mps-youtube propagates util-linux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 23:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37732: glib propagates util-linux

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37732: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37732
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37732: mps-youtube propagates util-linux
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 00:39:21 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> --- a/gnu/packages/linux.scm
>>> +++ b/gnu/packages/linux.scm
>>> @@ -1089,19 +1089,40 @@ providing the system administrator with some help in common tasks.")
>>>                      (("build_kill=yes") "build_kill=no"))
>>>                    #t))))
>>>      (build-system gnu-build-system)
>>> -    (outputs '("out"
>>> -               "static"))      ; >2 MiB of static .a libraries
>>> +    (outputs '("out"                   ;6.4 MiB executables and documentation
>>> +               "dev"                   ;8.8 MiB shared libraries, headers and locales
>>> +               "static"))              ;2.9 MiB static .a libraries
>>
>> Shared libraries are not just for development, so I’d say it should be
>> “lib” instead, no?
>
> Agreed.  Will adjust this patch accordingly once I get around to start
> working on 'core-updates'.  :-)

I opted for a more conventional "lib" output and pushed the patch to the
'core-updates' branch in bb93042c8beb881ab907fa802eefb3c4091039a2.

Subject: mps-youtube propagates util-linux
From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:40:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

An unfortunate chain of propagated-inputs causes 'util-linux' (mount,
umount, etc.) to be installed alongside 'mps-youtube': 'mps-youtube'
propagates 'python-pygobject', which propagates 'glib', which propagates
'util-linux'.  It seems to have been introduced with commit 6c237a2,
when 'util-linux' was moved to the propagated-inputs of 'glib'.

This is a problem on foreign distributions, where the stowaway 'mount'
and 'umount' commands installed by Guix shadow the setuid ones provided
by the distro.

I am currently on commit ecf3a3a (post core-updates merge).

Regards,

Diego