Subject: bug#37732: mps-youtube propagates util-linux

From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 16:29:30 +0200

Hello Marius,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Diego: one work-around you can try in the meantime is to create a
> ~/setuid-programs, add it first on PATH, and symlink the required
> binaries in there.  Sorry for the inconvenience! 

No worries.  I have simply removed 'mps-youtube' from my profile and use
it with 'guix environment --ad-hoc mps-youtube -- mpsyt' instead.  The
difficult part was finding out which package propagated 'util-linux'.  I
used 'emacs-guix' and lucky guesses to find it (fortunately the profile
only contained 12 packages).

Is there a more convenient way to recursively show all propagated-inputs
of a given package?  It would be interesting to check how prevalent this
propagation pollution is (another example that comes to mind is 'jami',
which installs 125 programs under bin/, of which only about half can be
attributed to 'util-linux').

Thanks,

Diego