Subject: Re: bug#37691: Toolbars are a mess of symbolic kinda-modern and colorful old-school icons

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 20:32:38 +0300

> From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 12:37:10 -0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> But my question was more about why some icons changed and others
> don't. I see nothing wrong with the previous icon set, but now we have
> a mix of styles, not just old fashioned icons, which is something I
> don't mind. Is this part of a plan to replace old icons with symbolic
> icons?

I think it's due to availability and/or copyright issues.  I might be
wrong, but if you are interested, look up the changes in the Git
history, and then look for related discussions on emacs-devel and
gnu-emacs-bug mailing lists.

> Or is this because emacs is now taking some icons from somewhere in
> my system and that behavior can be reversed toggling some option?

If your build is with GTK, then maybe the tool-bar icons come from
GTK, I don't remember.  But otherwise Emacs uses our icons, from
etc/images/.