Subject: bug#37689: closed (Re: bug#37689: Fringe pixmaps, widgets, etc. look ridiculously tiny in hidpi screen)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37689: Fringe pixmaps, widgets, etc. look ridiculously tiny in hidpi screen

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37689: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37689
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37689: Fringe pixmaps, widgets, etc. look ridiculously tiny in hidpi screen
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 14:09:44 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm closing this issue in order to prevent wasting your time in
useless reviews, because I'm working in a rather different solution as
described in my last comment to #37770. Hopefully I will be posting a
new patch as soon as I get that working, but it has shown to be a
difficult task to undertake... Nevertheless I'm learning a lot about
the internals.

Best regards
--
Carlos

Subject: Fringe pixmaps, widgets, etc. look ridiculously tiny in hidpi screen
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 03:28:55 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, this issue has been raised many times in reddit and other forums.
Support for hidpi (e.g. my screen is 3000x2000) is rather deficient.
Buttons, checkboxes and other widgets look minuscule. The decorations in
the Fringe are barely visible. I'm not sure whether the best strategy is to
offer manually scaled up pixmap variants or to automatically scale them up
even if the result ends up being a bit blurry. In any case, most screens in
sell today are mid or hi resolution, it's almost impossible to buy a decent
piece of new hardware with a good old 1366x768 screen. And emacs should
catchup.

I propose to make an inventory of all the things that should be fixed
towards hidpi support and maybe provide an external package patching
whatever could be patched as a temporary measure.

I'm using emacs 26.3 in Ubuntu 19.04. My DE is Gnome 3.32, scaling factor =
2.

Best regards
--
Carlos