Subject: bug#37671: 27.0.50; Segmentation fault with --fg-daemon on Linux

From: Frank Terbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 13:49:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
[...]
> It sounds like switching workspaces is relevant to the issue at hand.
> Can you try moving the mouse pointer off the Emacs frame before
> switching to the workspace where Emacs isn't visible, and moving the
> mouse pointer to a place where it won't be on any Emacs frame before
> switching back?  If you do that, do the crashes still happen?

I will  try and remember  this. The issue  is, though, that  because the
problem occurs only as infrequently as it does, I can't guarantee that I
will remember doing it every time, I switch workspaces. Because over the
course of a couple of weeks, I switch workspaces hundreds of times easi-
ly without anything ever going wrong. :)

I usually  have Emacs as a  mostly full-screen window with  small status
bars above and below it.

> Also, which window manager is the one you use?

It's XMonad¹ — which is one of those tiling window managers that are not
re-parenting window managers².

¹ https://xmonad.org
² https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-parenting_window_manager

>> Anyway. I'm running my emacs inside gdb again, in case it happens again.
>> Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
>
> Thanks.  Next thing I'd like you to try is this simple band-aid:
[...]

Can do! Do you want me to try this right away or give the "move the
mouse pointer off of the window" routine a shot for a while first?

Regards, Frank