Subject: bug#37665: closed (Re: bug#37665: Concatenation of gzip compressed bytearray)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 16:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37665: Concatenation of gzip compressed bytearray

which was filed against the gzip package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37665: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37665
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37665: Concatenation of gzip compressed bytearray
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Zhu Li <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 09:52:31 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 10/8/19 8:28 AM, Zhu Li wrote:
> does this mean that GZIPInputStream and GZIPOutputStream don't support
> such operation by design

Sorry, but you seem to be writing about some gzip-compatible software, 
not about gzip itself. Please write to whoever maintains that other 
software, instead of to bug-gzip.

Subject: Concatenation of gzip compressed bytearray
From: Zhu Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:28:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello there,

Our team has a use case where we want to concatenate gzip-compressed byte
arrays. We do compression with GZIPOutputStream.java with Java 8 and
decompression with GZIPInputStream.java.
In a simple test case I compressed several instances of byte[] with
GZIPOutputStream and output the compressed results to several instances of
byte[], and then put all of them into a ByteBuffer. Then I tried to
decompress the concatenated data in the final ByteBuffer with
GZIPInputStream.
And I found that sometimes this works as expected but other times the last
few instances of input byte[] are ignored by GZIPInputStream(it seems to
get EOF at the end of a compressed byte[], which is not the last compressed
byte[] in the ByteBuffer) I was testing with the default setting.
So does this mean that GZIPInputStream and GZIPOutputStream don't support
such operation by design or is there something we can configure/change for
this to work?

Regards,
Zhu